One of the most innovative projects underway at GE Capital is the $250 million fund it launched two years ago with NBC Universal. As we described in our video yesterday, the Peacock Equity fund invests in digital media companies in the venture capital space — such as in video game developer Trion World Network, which has teamed with NBCU’s Syfy for a breakthrough TV and game collaboration. Today, we take a closer look at the fund, which invests in four primary sectors: advertising, content, gaming, and technology. Lauren Zalaznick, head of NBCU’s Women and Lifestyle Entertainment Networks, explains in the video below that when it comes to investment choices, the fund assesses the growth potential of each company and then comes to NBCU to “see if there’s a direct fit — a direct value — into one of our businesses, and in that way, have a mutual co-creation of value.” Adds Michael Chen, President and CEO of Media, Communications & Entertainment for GE Capital: “The question has always been: Are you trading analog dollars for digital dimes? We’re trying to figure out how do you break the mold? How do you invest in digital media and make money in that space?”
In case you missed the first installment, below is our look at Peacock’s work with Syfy and Trion.
* Read “Peacock Fund fuels Syfy & game guru Trion venture” on GE Reports
* Read about the Peacock Fund’s investment in BlogHer
* Read about Peacock’s investment in EveryZing
* Read “What’s On? A new Comcast/NBCU media venture” on GE Reports
* Read updates about the recently announced deal between NBCU and Comcast
* Learn more about GE Capital in our recent GE Reports stories