Solar is the next step in GE’s growing renewable energy portfolio — not to mention a key part of its ecomagination commitment to drive the production and use of clean energy technology through innovation and R&D investment.
GE’s work centers on a specific type of solar panel known as CdTe thin film solar. While there are many different types of solar cell technologies — including multiple types of thin film — the key to them all is affordability, which can enable mass production and use.
As Danielle Merfeld, Director of the Solar Technology Platform at GE, explains in this video, “We have been able to develop some astounding improvements in CdTe efficiencies…. The reason why we chose this technology is because out of all of them, it has the best path to the lowest cost — meaning it will have higher efficiency and it will be easier to make. ”
* Learn details about the thin film breakthrough and the new factory being built on GE Reports
* Read today’s thin film announcement
* Read more solar stories on GE Reports
* See our audio slide show interview with Danielle Merfeld
* Read “GE to Build Largest U.S. Solar Panel Plant” in The New York Times